Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Catching Up



I have a crazy busy life right now, but I wanted to take time out to share what I'm up to. Tomorrow, Paula Chung and I are packing up 18 pieces of art from our A View Within series, and shipping them off to the Ruth Funk Center For Textile Arts in Melbourne, Florida. We are sharing the venue with SAQA's Radical Elements, which makes this a really dynamic exhibition. This exhibit runs May 28th thru August 27th, and I will be doing a Gallery Talk on July 23rd at 1pm.


The following week we are shipping 35 pieces to the Houston Center for Contemporary Craft for an exhibit that will run May 27th through September 3rd. Paula and I will both be giving a Gallery Talk, and possible some other presentations the weekend of June 9th thru 12th.


With a little prodding from Deborah Boschert, I'm trying to put together a piece for the SAQA auction. No promises on this, but it's kind of relaxing to work on something small.


Paula and I are continuing on with our work, and we are thinking about refining it a bit by working on one area in more depth. Along this line we are focusing on several X-rays gifted to us by our friend Betty. They are images from the 1950's, a series of head, jaw and mouth X-rays.

And I'm very excited to be in this new book by Martha Seilman, "Art Quilts International, Abstract & Geometric", available in the fall on Amazon. One of my pieces in the book will be traveling to IQF Houston in 2017, then IQF in Chicago, and possibly sone other venues.


While all this is going on, I'm continuing to work on my Loss Series, trying to depict the feelings of anger and frustration that go along with a physical or emotional loss. The art has been stagnating on my design wall, as I'm finding it very difficult to convey what I want to say.  Right now it's too neat, and I think loss is very messy, so I'm going to take a deep breath and start messing things up.





1 comment:

Françoise said...

Congrats, and good luck with the shows.
I'm looking forward to seeing the next pieces in your Loss series.