Friday, July 22, 2011

Moving Along

Here are two more of my series on xray's, MRI's and CT scans.  This first one is from an xray of my friend Lisa Miller's foot.  In the original xray, there are lots of pins in her toes, and I was able to use a piece of rusted nails I made a while ago.  Rust is really difficult to sew over, and I busted a few needles, even on these little bits.


This hip fracture belongs to a friend of Paula's http://paulachung.blogspot.com/, and this woman has had the misfortune of breaking several bones due to severe osteoporosis.


I'm using wool bedspread batting in all of these, which shrinks just enough to add some texture, unlike the wool felting I've used in other pieces, which seems to shrink about 4 inches for every 20 inches of fabric.  I'd love to try that on a larger piece, but I don't think I could ever get it to lay flat.

4 comments:

Pamela Price Klebaum said...

These are so very powerful, Karen. Great work.

Marianne said...

Magnifique travail wonderful

Françoise said...

Wonderful pieces Karen. And I like being able to see the bigger size photos.

Judy said...

I love these Karen! Your colors are fabulous and the x-ray concept is quite unique!

xo