Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Electric Shock Therapy


My dad suffered from depression most of his life, and tried various methods to alleviate it, including ECT. Back in the 60's when my dad had his treatment, the environment was not as controlled as it is now, and patients, including my dad, suffered memory loss that he never regained. Despite his health issues, my dad lived a full life, controlling his depression with the antidepressant Elavil until he died at the age of 83.

I have started on a series that seems to be about my dad. It came out of nowhere, actually, I think starting the pain pieces stirred this up, and I'm just going to follow it where it takes me. Above is the first finished piece, not yet titled, about his experience with ECT. Below is a closeup.
I'm finding it very comforting to work on these pieces. My dad's been gone 5 years now, sometimes it seems like yesterday.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Gerrie said...

These are very powerful, Karen.