Monday, May 26, 2008

Thermofax screens

I read an article by Virginia Speigel in the current issue of Fiber and Stitch www.fibreandstitch.com about screenprinting with the thermofax and decided to make a screen with one of my Mendocino pictures. Below is the picture in it's original state. I put it into picassa and cropped it, then made it black and white, and finally added some highlights and shades.
I printed it out using the black ink only option on my computer, then tried it out on a piece of fabric. Nice, but looking at it I realized it was the opposite of what I wanted. I didn't want the piece of fabric covered with paint, I wanted just a few details with paint on them.

I can't figure out how to "invert" on Picassa, so I had my husband transfer it into photoshop (I'm an idiot when it comes to photoshop), and invert it. The piece below is exactly what I was looking for.






2 comments:

Heather Cohen said...

This is a cool journey through different mediums of art to get this final result. Excellent work, as always!

TB said...

Very nice effect!