Saturday, July 5, 2014

Encaustic Explorations

I'm continuing to work with encaustics, and figuring out how I can incorporate them into my fiber work.   I started out with sheer fabrics, like organza, and while I like the translucent quality, I haven't been able to put wax on it without the wax looking blobby and streaky, not the look I'm aiming for.   I've been spending a lot of time on in vitro fertilization, and the picture below is of an embryo beginning to multiply.



I'm already interpreting it in fiber, but I wanted to see what I could do with encaustic.  I stitched the fabric to the wool batting, shrunk it, then applied the wax.  At first I molded it into flower like shapes, but they looked too flower like, so I flattened them out a bit.



 The background is just plain black, but I think I will use my wool batting/shrinking technique on it too.  I'm thinking I can add some hand stitching if I need it.

1 comment:

Del said...

Glad to see you have been working away at your wonderful quilts. The piece that looks like a triptych is especially nice.