I have one large piece left of the Testfabrics 419WB which discharged from black to white, along with a few scraps, and like most of you, I'm afraid to use something when I only have one piece left. I can't find anything else that discharges like this, everything you buy now discharges to orange. I decided to experiment with a scrap before committing myself to the large piece.
gathering the piece tightly. I followed my initial machine stitched lines when I gathered it, because I wanted the blue dye deposited along those lines.
This is the piece soda soaked, waiting for the thickened dye.
I thought I wanted the shiboried lines darker blue and then I planned to paint lighter blue over the whole piece. Remembering this would shrink everytime I washed it in hot water, and dried it, I decided to combine the two dye steps. After sitting for 4 hours tied up, I clipped the stitching and started to paint lighter blue dye over the whole piece. What you see above is me remembering to take a picture half way thru this process. I batched it another 4 hours, then washed with cold and hot water. I didn't dry it in the dryer as I knew that would add significantly to the shrinkage.( Every time I say that I think of George Costanza)
The results were not great, I think blue white combo isn't working well.
I decide to overdye the whole think with really watered down 602 black from ProChem. When this black is watered down it produces a beautiful blue. After washing it in hot water three times, the piece shrunk to 15 x 16.
So this is the end result. It's ok. Not great. Honestly, I liked it better before I started adding color to it.
Next time, I think I will thicken the bleach a bit more so I have more control over the process, and maybe not add any color at all.