Monday, August 22, 2011

Line

Our oldest daughter Julie is a part time artist and full time govt. employee.  She moved recently to Big Sur and rents a place with her boyfriend on the Edward Weston compound.  It's a small place, around 800 sq. feet, with a stream and a trout pond out back.  We were finally up there visiting a few weeks ago, and it made me so happy to see her so happy.  I forgot my camera when we visited,


 but a few days ago we were at LACMA and saw an Edward Weston exhibit.  I took a few photos here, and they are really bad, but I was so captivated by the lines in his work.


Seeing a bell pepper next to a nude, with similar lines just reminded me of how important it is


to pay attention to the simplest basic design principles.  Switching subjects, below is my new sewing machine, with the unfortunate name of Sweet Sixteen, because of the 16 inch base.  You stitch from the front end of the machine, like a long arm, and it only does free motion, and it stitches really, really fast.


This bobbin winder looks very intimidating, but it's actually simple, and the bobbin holds lots of thread, so your not changing it too often.


I feel like it's back to basics with this machine, no fancy stitches to choose from, no needle left or right, it's perfect for me.

3 comments:

Brenda said...

Cool photos!

The Sweet Sixteen seems to be popping up in studios all over. I hope you find it a good companion.

Gale said...

Please let us know how you like the Sweet Sixteen. I've been researching and researching and pondering for a while now. Would love your opinion after you've had a chance to do some stitching.

Françoise said...

Great pictures Karen.
And I too would like to hear about the Sweet Sixteen in action!