Monday, November 1, 2010

Twelve with Rust

For the Twelve by Twelve challange chosen by Terri, the colors were rust, plus some aqua/green.  I happen to love these colors, and had enough in my stash to make several quilts, but I settled on two.  The final choice is posted on the Twelve blog site  http://www.twelveby12.blogspot.com/. This was runner up, the reason being it doesn't really do anything for me.  I think the design is a little too busy, and I can't rest my eye anywhere.  The construction method is similar to the other piece, but I added three little pieces of paper that I got off the top of a spiral bound notebook, that happened to be this aqua color.  I painted them with matte medium and stuck them on, thinking I was so clever, but they don't add anything, and are kind of a distraction to my eye.


One thing I love about this 12 x 12 format, is it's easy to have do overs, you're not using a lot of fabric, and they don't take much time to assemble once the idea is there.  This little piece will lay around for a while until I can't stand looking at it and either change it or pack it away.

5 comments:

Gerrie said...

I love this one!! Either one is lovely and a good use of your beautiful surface design fabrics.

Diane Perin said...

I really like this one, too. I like the balance of shapes and textures on this, too. Both pieces really appeal to me!

Françoise said...

I like both quilts Karen. But I understand what you mean about these three little pieces of paper.

Terry Jarrard-Dimond said...

I often hear artists say they don't have time to develop new ideas but this example of working small is the perfect solution. It gives you some feedback and you haven't spent a month working with it. I love the color and overall softness of this study.

Judy said...

wonderful!

xo