I knew that to emphasize the stitching I had to cover up the images, and I didn't think this would work very effectively with dye, so I got out my fabric paints and went to work. This method is reminiscent of the art Deidre Adams http://abstractions.deidreadams.com/ makes and I think it is very effective in showing off the stitching.
I have two photos, one with the flash, one without, because I was in a hurry and didn't want to take the time to set up my tripod, lighting etc. So the top photo is the real red and the bottom photo is the real blue. it's kind of hard to see, but in the top photo, you can still see bits of the images from underneath. I thought about covering them up, but I think they add some depth to the piece.
As far as shrinkage,, this piece ended up 52 wide by 39 long, not much shrinkage. I am not sure this method would have worked if it had shrunk a lot, because the crevasses might be too deep, but I happen to have a piece with crevasses that I'm going to try it out on.