I've been studying the last piece I put together (see my last blog) for days now, and while I like the concept, the piece is really boring. I made several photocopies of the piece and took my scissors to the paper. When I found an image I liked, I took the rotary cutter to the fabric, and sliced away. After reassembling on my display wall (no stitching yet), I liked the results, but noticed immediately that the vertical lines were now very obvious.
I dug back into the yellow/orange pieces I had as scraps and stuck them up there to see if it helps. I think it breaks it up and adds more interest, but there may be some more slicing and dicing in the future.