Thursday, October 30, 2008

Color changes

There was some talk on the Dyers List blog this morning about dyes that don't turn out the way you expect them to. I had a wonderful accident last week with some mx dye that I now can't seem to reproduce. I used prochem navy and strongest red to make the red in this screenprint and I used masking tape on the screen to pull it thru, then I pulled thru some black. I batched it for 24 hours, washed it out, and liked what I saw.
When I turned it over this was the surprise bonus on the back, it looks like the exact opposite of the front on the color wheel. I was so happy I could use both sides of this fabric (cotton sateen), that I prommptly used most of it up. I wanted more. I tried the same technique yesterday, nothing. The only thing I can think of, is that I may have left the mixed dye sitting out for a few days before using it, and may have left the print paste out also. I know Carol Soderlund could figure this out, but I haven't a clue


Rayna said...

ooooh - the back is to die for. Accidents are not meant to be reproduced - that's why they are called accidents - LOL. Ask me how I know.

Nikki said...

Beautiful fabric! You will just have to shoot for more happy accidents.

swooze said...

What a happy accident! I hope you do figure it out. I love it.