Saturday, July 25, 2015

Installation Part 3


I knew going in that photographing this piece would be difficult.


There was no place inside that would work. Even though I have a really high ceiling in my studio, I would have had to put nails and screws into it, and I didn't want to do that.  We started looking at my outside patio, figuring out when the sun hit the area, and saw a window of opportunity from about 6 to 9 a.m.


My brother Gary and SIL Val were visiting from Portland and we joined forces to figure this out. The awning was perfect for attaching the supports, and that rod in the background would hold the photo paper.



I arranged the bags below,



and we started to take some test shots.  The photo paper is 9 feet wide and worked great for this install.


A close up, and then it became to bright, so we needed to postpone till the next day.


After some final untangling, we started shooting.


A breeze began blowing and in an attempt to calm it down, I held this wind break up.



Here's the official shot, and the piece is titled "Bundle of Sorrow".



With the side view.



I'm pretty happy with the way this turned out.  I think I have a few issues to work out, including how to ship it if it does get into an exhibition. The whole endeavor cost about $300, and it might cost that much to package it correctly.

I was worried when I started this that it would be a one hit wonder, but I don't think I'm done with this subject yet.




2 comments:

Brenda Gael Smith said...

Wow! I hope you figure out the shipping issues so this work can be shared elsewhere.

Linda A. Miller said...

I love the new direction you are moving in with your work!