Thursday, April 10, 2014

Down Time

My Bernina is in the repair shop, which , like many of you, is causing me lots of frustration because I spend most of my days sewing.  I'm trying to turn it into a positive by immersing myself in this new to me encaustic process.


Most encaustic is made using a board or hard surface under it.  I have lots of these boards, but I am drawn to using just fabric.  In fact, if I think about it, I'm not really doing encaustic, I'm basically coating my fabric in wax to try to achieve a more textured look.  I love what fiber artist Debbie Lyddon is doing, check her out here http://debbielyddon.wordpress.com.


My biggest issue right now is trying to seal the wax and get a smooth surface without setting the cloth on fire.



I'm a work in progress on that one, as you can see in the photo below with the singed area in the lower left corner.  I'm thinking I need to use more wax if I'm going to try using a torch on it.


I'm working really small right now, just 6 inches,  but I'm already thinking about some larger pieces I want to make.


My machine won't be ready for another week.


I've sorted and reorganized all my art books, gone thru my shoes for Goodwill donations, cleaned my desk, and spent way too much time surfing the web. Today I'm thinking about cleaning out the kitchen drawers, hopefully something will come up to distract me from that.

2 comments:

Olga Norris said...

Your wax experiments look interesting. Quite a few years ago now I saw some textile pieces made with wax: the artist had made a kind of square box in which she had a textile/fibre/object collage on and in wax which she had poured in. It settled and solidified, and then she removed the box and smoothed the wax. They were beautiful. I must see if I can find her name - I never saw any work of hers again

Joanne S said...

Karen, I find that the cleaning and organizing gives my "computer" brain time to sort and evaluate--at any point the results will be made known to you. I don't know how or why it works but it seems to be a fascinating process that artist minds adapt to very well.

I have a list of things I could possibly sort--for those moments when I am at loose ends. LOL