Monday, March 1, 2010

Blue,Black and White

We had our reveal today for Twelve by 12  http://www.twelveby12.blogspot.com/ and the results are spectacular, please go to the site and check them out. The colors this time were blue, black and white and I ended up making three different pieces.  I'll show them all to you here. This first piece was made using painted interfacing and cheesecloth.  I was just back from Florida and added the black stitching that reminded me of fencing on the beach in South Beach. 







The second piece is also a memory of South Beach, this time the skyline.  I started by stitching the outlines of the buildings, then painting them with fabric paint.  My husband thought this looked too much like a New York skyline, so I tried adding the drifting thread at the bottom to give it a more casual, beachy look, but I don't think it is very successful.


This last one is my favorite.  You can read about it on the Twelve site above.  


 




4 comments:

Gerrie said...

I love all three of these. I think the skyline is wonderful, but it does not evoke South Beach. It looks more like Seattle or Portland with those watery foggy colors!! I also like the one with the fence stitching. 3 great pieces.

Rayna said...

My fave, too. But they are all interesting takes. Right about the skyline, but it doesn't matter what city it is - the viewer can imagine his or her own.

Diane Perin said...

Wow -- all three are very striking and just so appealing. You are really creating wonderful stuff these days, Karen.

Judy said...

OK, so I'm really late to this party, but I am in agreement with Gerrie, Rayna and Diane: they are all wonderful, but I have to say that my fave is your first one. It is fantastic!!! I also love the second one, but also have to say that it isn't South Beach. Hate to agree with your dh, but I do! LOL Now i have to go read what you said on 12 x 12.

xo