Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Claire Benn and Leslie Morgan class

I have been home from the Crow Barn for a week and am finally processing the information I received from these 2 amazing women, Claire Benn and Leslie Morgan. The class was "Working With Intent" and I spent 5 days doing exactly that. The photos you are seeing are the works of these 2 artists as I produced my usual crap I make at every workshop. I'm not sure why that is, but I don't worry about it any more. Here's what I learned: slow down and focus on the task at hand, journal about my intentions, word associate, pay attention to myself and what I am feeling. This may sound very touchy feely, but in my case it's working. These are lessons out of one of their books, but it so much nicer to apply them in person.
They are both wonderful women with very different personalities, and they are willing to show you any technique they know to achieve your goal. I tried scraping thickened dye onto my pre treated fabric insted of high or low water immersion. I made marks with a variety of objects that were never intended for making marks. I l;earned a wonderful new to me technique that is featured in their new book"Paper and Metal Leaf Lamination" shown below.

I came home from the class feeling very good about myself and my art and I'm now making fiber like you wouldn't believe. I hope to have some finished pieces up here for you soon. For more reading on this class, go to this blog http://karoda.typepad.com/ Karen was in my class and produced some great pieces, very emotional

Now that I have my supplies back, I can finish my small series I've been working on, so pictures 5 and 6 should be up soon.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Karoda said...

hi karen, i just came in. The impact of the workshop is only going to pick up momentum as we progress toward our future art making processes.

you really captured the laminated piece very well in this photo.

Gerrie said...

Gaaaa! I shoulda been there!! You and Karoda!!!! Love your work from the class.

Françoise said...

Lucky you!
I'm looking forward to seeing your new pieces.
Regards.

Mai-Britt Axelsen said...

My very favorite teachers, so giving and sharing.